Sir William Gerbrygges
St Andrew's Church, Wickhampton, Norfolk, England
effigy of sir william gerbrygge prob. early c14, holding his heart in his hands. literature describing this monument refers to it having once held a heart in its hands, and to the heraldry being obcured by time, but cotman's drawings show that both observations are incorrect, and the tombs are virtually as he saw them, and in good condition.
gerbrygge tombs in the chancel. pevsner gives these a late c13 date c.1270 on stylistic grounds, but if they represent sir william and joan gerbrygge, that is probably too early, as they seem to have died around 1340. even if the tombs were made before their deaths, 70 years may be a bit much. literature claims that the tombs were damaged by time, but they appear much as cotman drew them, and seem mostly unrestored.
Effigies and Shields of Sir William Gerbrygges Monument in Wickhampton Ch Norfolk
Title: Effigies and Shields of Sir William Gerbrygges Monument in Wickhampton Ch Norfolk
Series: Cotman's Norfolk Architecture
Artist: Cotman, John Sell
Engraver: Cotman, John Sell
Publisher: Cotman, John Sell
Dimensions: 285 x 173 mm
EFFIGIES OF SIR WILLIAM GERBRYGGE AND HIS LADY, IN WICKHAMPTON CHURCH
These Effigies lie on raised tombs, under two adjacent mural arches, on the north side of the chancel. On the shield of the knight are seen the bearings of Gerbrygge, Ermine, on a chief gules five lozenges of the first.
The persons here commemorated are probably Sir William Gerberge and Joan his lady. Sir William appears to have been summoned against the Scots in the wars of Edward I. in 1298 and 1301. In 1315 William de Corton and Clementia his wife settled upon Sir William and Joan his wife for their lives, and in tail, certain messuages and lands in Wickhampton, with the advowson of the church; and in the same
year Sir William presented to that living. In 1316, 9 Edw. II. he was certified to be one of the lords of the townships of Erpingham, Ingworth, Honing, Upton, and Wickhampton, all in Norfolk; and at the same time his son Edward Gerberge was certified as one of the lords of Erpingham and Ingworth.
The precise period when Sir William died is not ascertained: he was deceased before 1345. A. W.
a knight and lady dated by Claude Blair to the 1340s, traditionally attributed to Sir William Gerbrygge and his wife at Wickhampton
Wickhampton, Norfolk, UK
Church of St Andrew
Monuments to Sir William and Lady Joan Gerbrygge. North chancel. Freestone, Perhaps commissioned around 1300 by Sir William and Lady Joan.
Three tall buttresses frame canopies made of decorated twin gables over round arches. The figures lie on low tombs set with coats of arms. The architecture is a reconstruction by R. M. Phipson in 1883, following the example of J.S. Cotman in his Engravings of Sepulchral brasses in Norfolk, Vol. 1, with introduction by Dawson Turner, 2nd ed. , London, 1838, Supplement Plate II (digitized by Google Books). Nigel Saul has noted that this is one of the earliest joint monuments in Britain: King John in Worcester Cathedral (c. 1232), for example, was shown as an isolated figure, and married couples were only shown together in large scale compositions from the early fourteenth century, notably Sir John de Metham and Lady Sybil of c. 1312 in Howden Minster, Yorkshire.
Lady Joan lies in prayer at the east end her feet resting on a rather battered pet dog. Her elaborately curled hair can be made out under her wimple and her neck is protected by three layers under her dress, with an open armed mantel over. Her husband rests his head on two pillows, and his feet on a lion and holds a heart as he gazes, smiling, to heaven. His armour resembles that of the statue to Sir Roger du Bois at Fersfield (1333?), with a linen gown down to his knees over the mail hawberk, with the exception of his helmet, rounded rather than pointed. The remnants of the decoration at Fersfield serve as a reminder of the original appearance of these two statues. Some of the decorative details can still be made out, a roundel with a dragon(?) on the canopy above Sir William and a winged bird on the east capital above Lady Joan.
Pevsner’s date of 1270-1280 rests on his analysis of the architecture, and by Nigel Saul’s observation that this is one of the earliest joint monuments in Britain since married couples were only shown together in large scale compositions from the early fourteenth century, notably Sir John de Metham and Lady Sybil of c. 1312 in Howden Minster, Yorkshire. That monument is much more sophisticated in design and style suggesting that that at Wickhampton may well have been commissioned by Sir William and Lady Joan while still alive (as suggested by www.ipernity.com/tag/stiffleaf/keyword/4074389). Sir William is recorded as one of the Yarmouth bailiffs in 1271 and together with his wife had been presented with the advowson (patronage) of Wickhampton church by William de Corton and his wife Clementia. William de Corton is recorded making similar gifts, including property in Norfolk, in documents in the National Archives dating from early in the reign of Edward II (1307-1327).
William de Corton @http://discovery nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7572635.
Francis Blomefield, 'Walsham Hundred: Wickhampton', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 11 (1810), pp. 135-137. Nikolaus Pevsner and Bill Wilson, Buildings of England. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East, New Haven and London, 1997, pp. 722-723; Nigel Saul, English Church Monuments in the Middle Ages. History and Representation, Oxford, 2011, pp. 145-6.
Monument to Sir William Gerbrygge
датировка выбрана 1330?, так как к 1340-м подол уже был выше колен, появились пластинчатые усиления защиты рук и ног, бацинет стал открытым
возможно, датировать можно и раньше 1330