the effigy of Sir John de la Mere who built Nunney castle and who died in 1383
John de la Mare was sheriff of Wilts" (where he has left his name to Fisherton-de-la-Mare) "in 1377, and then bore on his shield two lions passant
Piers de la Mare
Gules two lions passant gardant argent
Siege of Calais, 1348
The effigy of a knight on the window sill is traditionally ascribed to Sir John de la Mare, builder of the castle. He died in 1383. It is more likely to be his son, Philip, who founded achantry here in 1394. Another great feature of the church are the tomb effigies which are now rearranged in the St Katherine's chapel. These are of the Lords of the Manor across several centuries and include those of Sir John De La Mare, builder of Nunney Castle and Sir John Paulett and his wife Constance. This later effigy is of note because she wears her hair long as an unmarried woman would.
the ancestor of mine who "built" Nunney castle in the 14th c. (that is, he took a former manor house and reconstructed it in the contemporary French castle style)
is probably an effigy of Sir John Delamere (c.1390).
This effigy in Nunney Church is attributed to Sir John De la Mere. However, based on the style it is more likely to be that of his grandson.
He is best known as the man who built Nunney Castle, although it is unlikely that he saw it finished before his death in 1383. John De la Mere was sufficiently in the royal favour to receive a licence to crenellate from Edward III in 1373.