In the Chancel is a military effigy probably of Gronow Ab Ifor
Llansannor Church-Vale Glamorgan-Sanctuary-Effigy of unknown knight (possibly Stephen Bauzan, 13th cent)
inside the church is an extremely well=preserved effigy of a late 14th century knight in full armour in the chancel rural parish of Llansannor, near Cowbridge, in the Vale of Glamorgan
As Llansannor celebrates the new millennium we should spare a thought for the longest surviving inhabitant of the parish. For many hundreds of years, the effigy of a mediaeval knight has lain at the side of the altar of the parish church. The tradition of the village has been that this is the likeness of Stephan Bauzan, lord of Breigan and Llansannor in the Thirteenth century. If the effigy is that of Bauzan then it can be said to be the father of the parish, as both the Gwyn family of Llansannor Court, and the Thomas family, which held the manor of Breigan until the Seventeenth century claimed to be descended from the medieval Knight.
This identification has been disputed in more recent years, apparently partly on the basis of the anachronistic dress of the figure, which is depicted partly in Plate and partly in Chain-Mail armour. This was a style of dress that belonged to the Transition period of military evolution, a somewhat later era than that of Bauzan. The Effigy itself has received damage at some stage and one leg has been repaired, however the legs are clearly crossed, which is reputed to denote that the subject had been on crusade at some point during his life.
The feet of the effigy rest on a lion, and there also appears to be a lion or leopard crest on the helm
Sir Stephen Bauzan (born after 1210 – died 1257) was an English knight. Stephen descended from a prominent family originating in Devon/Cornwall.
An effigy in the church is said to represent him, but there is positive evidence that he was buried elsewhere, for, 15 Edward I, two stones were purchased and sent to cover the tombs of Stephen Bawcen and Richard Griffin at Caermarthen, at a cost of 1055.
This Sir Stephen Bauson (alias Basing) - (Link)
built Brigan House, and left issue Thomas - (Link)
who had Elizabeth, daughter and Heiress - (Link)
marryed to Sir Simon Welsh, Lord of Landouch - (Link)
whose daughter and heiresse Bettin - (Link)
marryed Aaron ab Howell Ffychan - (Link)
who had Issue Sir Thomas - (Link), (Link) (1260 - )
ffather to Sir Aaron - (Howel Ap Thomas) (Link), (Hywel ap Thomas) (Link)(1295 - ) - подходит под наш персонаж
to Whome Jenkin ab Sir Aaron - (Link), (Link) (1345 - )
Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as; Breigan Castle; Brigam; Brigan
Spurgeon writes tradition of castle of Stephan Bauzan in Breigan (Brigam) can not be dismissed. Stephan obtained Llansannor and Breigan in 1248 and as a prominent follower of Earl Richard Marshall may have built a castle there. This is claimed to be either Gelli Garn, at SS98207962 or Breigam Farm, at SS99457984; Spurgeon rejects both of these site but offers no alternative. The obvious site for such a castle would be near Llansannor church presumably the site now occupied by Llansannor Court at SS993774, however Spurgeon does cite evidence for another house in 'Brigan' which is more likely to be Brigam Farm (where there is a suggestion of a circular moat on the 1885 OS map) rather than the isolated and inconvenient Gelli Garn. Lewis writes "Llansannor House, formerly the residence of the lord of the manor, and Brigam, are both now in a greatly dilapidated condition, and in the occupation of tenants; near the latter are the remains of an old castle, which was of some note in this part of the county"
таким образом, Breygan, где родились все ближайшие потомки of Stephen Bauzan, которому приписывают наш памятник, мог находиться рядом с Llansannor
стилистическая близость изображенного костюма к таковым на памятниках в Pembrokeshire (P0547, 1324? и P0535, 1350?) подтверждается тем фактом, что реальный памятник Stephen Bauzan был установлен в Priory of St John's, Carmarthen
Attached to this confirmation was the condition that the Canons of the Priory should say mass for the soul of Stephen Bauzan and Richard Giffard 'and all the other men fallen in the king's service'50 . It seems reasonable to assume therefore, that the effigy was placed, not in Llansannor Church but in the Priory of Carmarthen.
The effigy erected in Carmarthen of course is no longer there, for at the Reformation, the Priory, along with all other religious foundations with an income of less than 200 pounds per annum, was abolished . An inventory of the goods of each of the Monastic Houses was prepared, but unfortunately, whilst there is a considerable amount of information regarding the state of the Priory's affairs, there is not mention of a monument. It is of interest however that the other Monastic Establishment in Carmarthen, the Friary, is noted as holding 'a fine effigy of Sir Rhys ap Thomas' 52. This is relevant to our case because the effigy in question was not left for random looting and vandalism in the ruins of the Friary, but was carefully moved from its original location and repositioned in St Peters Church, at the other end of town. In fact many of the artefacts and decorations of the pre Reformation Churches, down to the lead from their roofs and the very stones themselves were sold by the new owners.
и некоторые историки полагают, что он мог быть перенесен (или некий похожий на него памятник) в Llansannor новыми хозяевами поместья - семьей Gwyn
Could the effigy, paid for in 1287 by Edward Longshanks have been moved to Llansannor? For on July 20 1542,much of the land belonging to the Priory, including the Priory itself was leased to a Richard Gwyn
The Gwyns claimed descent from Bauzan, and Richard Gwyn, setting his household up as that of a Tudor gentleman, had a good motive to substantiate his lineage by moving the Statue back to the manor church
поэтому персонаж будет приписан Stephen Bauzan, хотя таковым, скорее всего, не является