Главная / Personalia
Personal Data
Surname Arnot (of Fernie)
First name John
Dating 1430?
Location Cupar
Life dates abt. 1385 - abt. 1450
Title Sir
Close relatives father - William Arnot
mother - Mary Browne
wife - Marjory Boswell
Type of the object tomb effigy
Place of manufacturing
(place of burial)
Place of exposition Church of St Michael of Tarvit, Cupar, Fife, Scotland
Date of manufacturing  

Monument - Sir John Arnot of Fernie
Dating - 1450
Location - Church of St Michael of Tarvit, Cupar, Fife, Scotland
Source - Brydall, Robert. 1895. The monumental effigies of Scotland, p. 375. Glasgow: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

Cupar Parish Church
Dedication: St Christopher/Our Lady
Diocese of St Andrews
Deanery of Fife

Parish Church, Cupar: Effigy of a member of Fernie family in 15th century tomb recess

John (Arnot) Arnot of Arnot (abt. 1385 - abt. 1450)

The effigy (fig. 35), which is locally known as " Muckle Fernie," is built into the wall of the parish church of Cupar, in Pifeshire. It has been referred to as that of Sir John Arnot of Pernie, who is said to have fallen in the last crusade, but of this there is room, for considerable doubt.. On the shield over the recess are three lions' heads erased, separated by a bar ; and the same bearings, without.the bar, appear on.the breast of the figure. This has no similarity to the arms of the Amots, which are, Atnot of that Ilk, a chevron between three stars (Fifeshire); Arnot of Feme, Fern, or Ferule, a cadet of Arnot of that Ilk, the same bearings differenced in colour; and Arnot of Balcomie, the same as Arnot, but with a bordure. Among other families, there is the ancient one of Scott of Balwearie, in Fife, bearing three lions' heads erased, and it is probable that the effigy belongs to a member of that family.
The figure is thickly coated with white paint, and measures 5 feet 9 inches frpm the top of the helmet to the heel. The helmet is not quite so pointed as usual on Scottish effigies of the period, inclining more to the form of the salade; and the fan-shaped elbow-pieces, long-spiked rowelled spurs, and form of sword belong to about the middle of the fifteenth century. On the bare hands a curious cord-like marking on the surface is probably intended for the veins, and a ring is on the forefinger of the left hand.

в источниках этот памятник датируют около 1450 - по дате смерти предполагаемого персонажа, но изображенный над памятником и на груди персонажа герб не соответствует предполагаемому персонажу, поэтому датировка необоснована, а изображенный доспех более соответствует 1420-30-м годам, поэтому для образца выбрана дата 1430?, но может быть и раньше

Вверх страницы