P0568
 
P0568
Главная / Personalia
 
P0568a
 
Personal Data
Surname Burke (De Burgh, Mac David)
First Name William
Nickname Galloglaich
Dating 1350?
Location Glinsk
Life dates  
Title  
Close relatives son - Sir David
Type of the object tomb
Place of manufacturing
(place of burial)
 
Place of exposition  
Date of manufacturing late-14Glinsk Co Galway
Ballynakill Church, Glinsk, County Galway, Ireland
Ballinakill Abbeyth century
Artist
Comments

(Link)
On the inside of the South Wall there is a fine limestone effigy of a Norman knight. Burke family tradition believed that the effigy was a likeness of William(the Conquerer) DeBurgh - the first DeBurgo to set foot on Irish soil.
Much debate has surrounded the fine effigy of the DeBurgo Knight in Ballinakill Abbey. Burke family tradition has always been that the effigy was none other than William "the Conqueror" DeBurgh, the father of the entire Burke family in Ireland. This tradition is often disputed as some have thought it more likely that the effigy was that of Sir David's father, William.
Tradition tells of a great meeting of the Burkes at Athassel Abbey (now known as the Abbey of Golden) which decided that the effigy of William DeBurgh should go to Glinsk, to the family of MacDavid, being the head of the senior line of Burkes.

Effigy of a Burke Galloglaich, Ballynakill Church, Glinsk, County Galway, Ireland

(Link)
The Galloglaich ("Galloglas") were Scottish mercenaries in Ireland, forming the backbone of the Irish armies from the late 1200s through the early 1600s. They were drawn from the best fighters in the Hebrides, mostly MacDonalds but also including the MacRorys, MacSwineys (or MacSweeneys), MacSheehys, MacDowells, and MacCabes. The word galloglaich means "foreign young warrior", and refers not only to the fact that they were from outside Ireland, but that they were of mixed Scottish-Viking stock, the result of many centuries of Viking raids on the Western Isles and Scotland's western coast.

(Link)
it is 600 years since Sir Theobald's ancestor settled at Glinsk (in the N.E. of this county), separating form the branckh of the family afterwards ennobled with the title of Clanricarde. The McDavid Burkes, (as the Glinsk family were called), have always claimed to be the elder branch of the name, and bore a different crest from that of the others (viz., live ostrich feathers rising out of a ducal coronet), the badge of Baldwin of Flanders, King of Jerusalem, from whom the Burkes claim to descend

(Link)

по аналогии с памятником в St. Mary's Abbey, Dungiven, Co. Derry, Ireland
(Link)
It is assigned a date of 1384 and is said to be the burial place of the great Cooey na Gall O'Cahan

предполагаемая датировка - 1340-1350-е, судя по аналогичным памятникам в Ирландии, Шотландии, Испании и Швейцарии
(P0301, 1350), (P0304 , 1345?) - клиновидная нагрудная часть бармицы, длина подолов
(P0226, 1345) - форма шлема (заострение купола, низкая тулья, изгиб вниз выреза на лбу)
(P0242, 1346), (P0464, 1331) - положение руки, вытаскивающей меч
(P0224, 1325), (P0464, 1331) - положение руки, стеганая куртка с характерным простеганым локтем

Images
   
P0568b
 
Personal Data
Title Guardian
Dating 1350?
Location Roscommon
Type of the object tomb effigy
Provenance  
Place of exposition Dominican Priory of St. Mary (Roscommon Abbey), Roscommon, County Roscommon, Ireland
Date of manufacturing carved between 1290 and 1300
later fifteenth century
Artist  
Comments

The tomb of Felim O'Connor (d.1265) at Roscommon Abbey, Ireland

(Link)
Roscommon Tomb, Dominican Priory of St. Mary
Effigy of Felim O’Connor, Roscommon Abbey.
The Abbey or friary was founded for the Dominicans by Felim O’Conor, who was King of Connaught from 1233 to 1265. An outstanding feature of the abbey is the effigy of the founder carved between 1290 and 1300. It has been placed on a tomb with 8 mail-clad warriors including one with a battle axe.

(Link)
Title: Dominican Priory of St. Mary, Roscommon, County Roscommon - Effigy Tomb
Author: Rae, Edwin
Issue Date: 31-May-2010
Description: (handwritten on back of image): Roscommon, Co. Roscommon: Dominican Priory of St. Mary: O'Connor tomb (multiple images on file)

Roscommon Abbey
View of the thirteenth century tomb effigy of Fedhlim O'Conchobhair, King of Connacht.
On his death in 1265 Fedhlim O'Conchobhair was interred in the abbey and his tomb was covered by an effigial slab which can still be seen in a niche in the north-east corner of the church. The effigy was carved between 1290 and 1300 and is one of only two Irish royal effigies surviving from this period. The effigy is now supported by a later fifteenth century tomb carved with the figures of 8 soldiers in mail armour with swords and a gallowglass axe.

Two Galloglasses on the tomb of Phelim O'Conor (sic) at Roscommon. From The Journal of the Royal Historical and Archaeological Association of Ireland 1878. Note the length of the mail on the sleeves and body, the aventails/coifs, the helms without nasals, and the axe/sword.

Roscommon Friary, County Roscommon, Ireland. Mail clad warrior on 15 C. tomb which now supports 13 C. effigy of Felim O'Connor

(Link)
The most interesting tomb is situated in a niche in the north wall of the chancel. On his death in 1265 AD Felim O'Connor was interred here and his tomb was later covered with an effigial slab. The figure is wearing a long robe and a dog rests at his feet. The effigy is resting on the side panels of a 15th century tomb with elaborately carved gallowglass warriors wearing chain-mail coats. Seven of the soldiers are carrying swords and the eighth a gallowglass axe. The Friary was burned in 1270 and by 1445 had fallen in to disrepair. It was restored c.1578 before finaly being dissolved later in that century.

(Link)
Tomb in the north wall of the choir, very close to the east window. The effigy appears to be of the 13th century and is probably that of the founder Felim O'Conor, King of Connacht. The weepers, i.e. the panel reliefs, are from the late 15th century and are possibly coming from the tomb of Tadhg O Conor who died in 1464. See p. 414 in Lord Killanin and Michael V. Duignan: The Shell Guide to Ireland, Second Edition, London 1967. This is part of the national monument #362 in state care in Ireland.
(в предыдущей цитате указано, что к 1445 году монастырь пришел в упадок и маловероятно, чтобы в нем размещали новые памятники)

(Link)
The Effigy of King Felim O'Conor in Roscommon Abbey, and the Altar-Tomb It Rests on
Walter Fitz Gerald

Images
   
Вверх страницы