San Lorenzo Maggiore, Naples, Campania, Italy
Campania--Napoli--Naples--S. Lorenzo Maggiore, Image 665
Creation Date: 1960-1990
Physical Desc.: Image 665 of 1299
Medieval: Sculpture, architecture, architectural sculpture (including Roman spolia) 13-14th century Chapter house; sarcophagi, gravestones; wall painting. Fragment of mosaic; sculptural fragments in the Sala Capitolare. Post-medieval: Architecture, architectural sculpture, ceiling painting fresco cycle; prints depicting Venice c. 1845 (4), sculpture; life-size creche figures dressed in original Neapolitan costume Church restored in 1882, 1926, 1944; excavations under the transept undertaken between 1958-1962, and in the cloister in 1976, have revealed remains of a Roman macellum (market), street, and the paleochristian basilica of the 6th c. AD.; Antiquities: Pottery: black-glazed, archaic banded, domestic wares, bucchero; architectural terracottas, statuettes, lamps, sculpture fragments; Object Notes: 3 color negatives with no prints at the end.; General Notes: Most objects/paintings/frescoes unidentified. Three batches of photos with the same numbering system arrived. The second and third have been been assigned A and B respectively after their numbers, and should not be interfiled. Some of this material was catalogued by consultant Dr. R. Leighton at the site of S. Lorenzo in November 1987, and worksheets for the antiquities and medieval material were written. Photos 1-40 consist of some objects from excavations under the church; others possibly come from outside Naples. Photos 41-72 represent selections from unrestored material found in excavations under the cloister of the church. Photos 73-132 consist of medieval-renaissance ceramics on display in the museum of the church. As regards the paintings, a number are in S. Lorenzo, while others are from various parishes outside Naples, which were transferred to temporary storage in S. Lorenzo after the earthquake of 1982 (photos 196-284).
German-born photographer and scholar Max Hutzel (1911-1988) photographed in Italy from the early 1960s until his death. The result of this project, referred to by Hutzel as Foto Arte Minore, is thorough documentation of art historical development in Italy up to the 18th century, including objects of the Etruscans and the Romans, as well as early Medieval, Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque monuments. Images are organized by geographic region in Italy, then by province, city, site complex and monument.
Form/Genre: Black-and-white prints (photographs)
Format: Still image
ID/Acc. No.: 86.P.8
Is Part Of: Foto Arte Minore / Max Hutzel (accession number 86.P.8)
See Also: Collection description
Use Restrictions: Digital images courtesy of the Getty's Open Content Program.
ritratto maschile con armatura giacente
Description: Lastra tombale.
Date of creation: DTZ.DTZG=sec. XIV;DTS.DTSI=1340;DTS.DTSF=1360;DTM=bibliografia;DTM=analisi stilistica; [Production]
Type: PhysicalObject; TSK=OA;; lastra tombale
Format: MISA=182;MISL=59;; marmo bianco
Subject: opere e oggetti d'arte; ATBD=bottega napoletana;ATBM=analisi stilistica;
Identifier: iccd:NCT NCTR=15;NCTN=00028490; [Metadata]; iccd:UID 1500028490 [Metadata]
Rights: proprieta Stato
Source: Progetto ArtPast- CulturaItalia
Data provider: Progetto ArtPast- CulturaItalia
Providing country: Italy
ritratto maschile con armatura giacente
Tipo: Oggetto fisico; lastra tombale
Tipo di scheda: Opere e oggetti d'arte
Categoria: Suppellettile liturgica
Autore: Ambito culturale: bottega napoletana - motivazione dell'attribuzione: analisi stilistica
Stato di conservazione: buono
Soggetto: ritratto maschile con armatura giacente
Estensione: 182 x 59
Materia e tecnica: marmo bianco
Data di creazione: 1340 - 1360, sec. XIV (motivazione della cronologia: bibliografia) (motivazione della cronologia: analisi stilistica)
Immagini di anteprima
ArtPast - catalogo opere d'arte / SBAPPSAE Napoli
Codice univoco ICCD: 1500028490
Diritti: proprieta Stato
BASILICA SAN LORENZO MAGGIORE TIP
Museo San Lorenzo Maggiore
Museum has five effigies of the knights in full suits of armor. All those effigies decorated the sepulchers of local military aristocracy and showed the figures of deceased, buried in the church of San Lorenzo Maggiore. Three figures are showing unknown knights. Inscription on one of five effigies says it belonged to Giovanni Caputo who died in 1487. In fact Giovanni Caputo couldn't use such suit of armor because it is typical for first half of XIV century and in second half of XV all west European knights wore full plate gothic armors of absolutely different type. I believe the real reason for such confusion as very natural. Sometimes relatives of deceased couldn't pay for already produced sepulcher. That means unpaid sepulcher usually stayed, sometimes for many decades in the workshop until poor gentry families who had no enough money to pay for brand new sepulcher could buy old one for cheaper price. Master just carved or re-carved new name on the stone. Another effigy situated under the icon of San Francesco with Franciscan Brothers and Claris Nuns belonged to sepulcher of two brothers Giovanni (died in 1356) and Giacomo (died in 1383) Barile. We cannot say definitely whose effigy is this but probably it shows Giovanni Barile because such armors were no longer in use after 1360s. All five effigies show us the knights in armor typical for the first half of XIV century and their armors consist of chain mail hauberks and chain mail hoses. Defense of their shins reinforced by iron or leather grieves. Defense of upper hands and shoulders are reinforced with rearbraces and round pauldrons made out of boiled leather also known in French as "cuir bouilli". One knight has pauldrons made in form of Lion's mugs. Elbows are additionally protected by iron roundels.