Главная / Personalia
Personal Data
Surname Houstoun
First name Patrick
Dating 1440?
Location Houston
Life dates +1440
Close relatives wife - Agnes Campbell (+1456)
Type of the object tomb effigy
Place of manufacturing
(place of burial)
Place of exposition national museums of Scotland stores, Edinburgh, UK
Date of manufacturing  

stores of the national museums of Scotland stores in Edinburgh

Houston Parish Church, Effigies
effigy of Sir Patrick Houston
effigy of Lady Agnes Campbell Houston

John Houstoun of Houstoun
Also Known As: "Houston"
Дата рождения: около 1426
Смерть: Умер 1465

The Monumental Effigies of Scotland from the Thirteenth to the Fifteenth Century
Robert Brydall (Author)

In Rogers' Monuments and Monumental Inscriptions of Scotland (1871)
it is stated that " in the aisle of the Red Friars Monastery . . . . a magnificent tomb contains under a canopy two statues the size of life (figs. 52 and 53): one is supposed to be Sir Patrick Houston of that Ilk, wbo died in 1440 ; the other Sir Patrick's wife, Agnes Campbell, who died in 1456," the inscription on the tomb being then illegible. The description must have applied to a date long anterior to the publication of that book, as the old parish church was replaced by the present one not many years later, previous to which the figures were allowed for a great many years to lie unprotected in the open air, playthings for
the village children. They now lie beside each other, without any canopy or base, in a recess constructed for them in the present church, with the modern inscription "John of Houston, Lord of that Ilk . . . . and Agnes Campbell His Spouse, who died Anno 1456." An old inscription connected with the family, also at Houston church, refers to Anna Hamilton and Patrick Houston, of the sixteenth century, which evidently does not apply to these figures.

Sir John Houston
Houston Church, Houston, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Source - Brydall, Robert. 1895. The monumental effigies of Scotland, p. 399. Glasgow: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

john Houstoun of Houstoun, Knight
"Sir John Houston"
Houston, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Смерть: 1456 (58-60)
Houston, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Место погребения: Houstoun, Renfrewshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

Personal Data
Surname Ross
First name John
Nickname of Hawkhead
Dating 1447
Location Renfrew
Life dates about 1391-August 06, 1447
Title Earl Of Ross
constable of the castle of Renfrew
Close relatives father - John de Ross (+1413)
child - John Ross, 1st Lord Ross (ca 1426-1500/01)
Type of the object tomb effigy
Place of manufacturing
(place of burial)
Place of exposition Renfrew Parish Church, Renfrew, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Date of manufacturing  

Sir John Ross of Hawkhead
Renfrew Parish Church, Renfrew, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Source - Brydall, Robert. 1895. The monumental effigies of Scotland, p. 371. Glasgow: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland

Hawkhead was a large mansion house situated a few yards from what is now Ben Lawers Drive in the modern housing estate of the same name to the south east of Paisley
Hawkhead (Halkhead) estate was originally owned by the Royal Stewarts and acquired in 1367 from the future King Robert lI, then Earl of Strathern by Sir John Ross for an annual payment of a pair of gloves, or two pennies of silver, to the King. The original name of the family was the 'de Ros ' (from Normandy) which was changed to the Scottish 'Ross' in 1489 when Sir John Ros was inserted among the Barons of Parliament as Lord Ross of Hawkhead .
This was the famous John 'Palm My Arm' Ross who lies at Renfrew Parish Church with his wife Marjory Mure.

персонаж, которому приписывается памятник, совершенно не соответствует по дате изображенному доспеху (ок. 1440)
John Ross (bef. 1428 - abt. 1501)
Marjory Mure (1428 - 1491)

но в предках этого персонажа были другие de Ross:
отец - наиболее подходящий персонаж
(Link) - John Ross - (+ after 1447)
(Link) - (about 1391-August 06, 1447)
(Link) - John Ross (abt. 1395 - abt. 1450)
Little is known of the detail of his parents. Balfour Paul presumes him to be a son of a Johannes de Ross who, in 1392 and 1397, appears as miles, dominus de Halkhead, (knight, Lord of Halkhead), on 28 October 1405 as Johannes de Ross de Haukheid miles, and under the same designation on 13 October 1409.
His date of birth is not provided in source and his mother is unknown. His father was still alive in Dec 1413 and there is no record of succession. However the John of this profile appears on the record as "Jon Rosse de Haukede" on 6 Aug 1447, suggesting he succeeded shortly before. He was appointed heritable constable of the castle of Renfrew.
Source records also provide that his son, Sir John Ross of Halkhead was of age when he appears in tournaments in Feb 1449 (New Calendar), suggesting that he, the son, was born c. 1420. Thus it might be expected that the John, of this profile, was born c. 1395.
His death is not recorded in source but his son appears as Lord of Halkhead in 1451 and it is presumed he died shortly before.

и дед - приобретатель имения
(Link) - John Ross (abt. 1375 - 1414, Halkhead)
(Link) - John Ross (+ after 1413, Halkhead)

Ross Halkhead
House Ross of Halkhead
Lords of Halkhead
Lords Ross of Halkhead
Hereditary Constables of Renfrew Castle
Uncertain cadency
Claimed kinship with the Ros famly of Helmsley
Scottish branch

Personal Data
Surname Campbell
First name Duncan
Dating 1453
Location Kilmun
Life dates 1390 - +1453
Title Lord of Lochawe (Loch Awe)
a member of the privy council and justiciar and lord lieutenant of Argyllshire
head of the Campbells of Loch Awe
Close relatives father - Colin Cambel
mother - Mariota, daughter of M'Cwill Cambel
wife (1) - Marjory/Marcellina Stewart (d. before August 1432), daughter of Robert, Duke of Albany
wife (2) - MARGARET STEWART (d. after August 1442), daughter of Sir John Stewart of Ardgowan, illegitimate son of Robert III
son - Celestin
Type of the object tomb effigy
Place of manufacturing
(place of burial)
Kilmun church
Place of exposition St Munn's Parish Church, Kilmun, Argyll, Scotland
Date of manufacturing 1450s

Mediaeval carved effigies of Sir Duncan Campbell and his wife Marjorie - originally over their graves in Kilmun Church but now in alcove in Mausoleum

Description Kilmun Church, Argyll vault effigy detail of armoured figure, upper part, from above,

Effigies of Sir Duncan Campbell of Loch Awe, and his wife Marjorie, the great great grand-daughter of Robert the Bruce.

Kilmun, St Munn's Parish Church (church of Scotland) Including Argyll and Douglas Mausolea, Associat, Kilmun

The Argyll Mausoleum.
Rebuilt in 1795-1796, the Argyll Mausoleum, standing in the church-yard of Kilmun Parish Church on its north-east side, is the burying-place of the Chiefs of the Clan Campbell.
The deteriorating structure contains medi?val burial effigies dating to the 1450s, which are thought to be the last remaining examples of such fine quality in Scotland.
St. Munn's Parish Church is a Category A listed building occupying the summit of a slight knoll about eleven yards from the shoreline of the Holy Loch. The present building of 1841 is on the site of a medi?val parish church, endowed as a collegiate church in 1442 by Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochawe, and a tower of that period stands to the west of the existing church.

Sir Duncan's Effigy at St. Munn's
Lady Marjory Duncan's Effigy at St. Munn's

m.1. Marjory/Marcellina Stewart, daughter of Robert, Duke of Albany
2. MARGARET STEWART, daughter of Sir John Stewart of Ardgowan, illegitimate son of Robert III
d. 1453
bur. Kilmun church
Duncan "Na-Adh" had a charter to Menstrie 6 Feb. 1392/3. He succeeded his father about 1414 when with the consent of his son Celestin he confirmed a grant which had been made by his father to his kinsman Ronald Malcolmson of Craignish. He is called "Cambel de Ergyle" in the list of hostages for the release of James I in 1423 and his annual income was given as 1500 marks. He was a member of the privy council and justiciar and lord lieutenant of Argyllshire.
In March 1440 Sir Duncan le Cambel, knight, Lord of Lochawe granted a charter to the church of Dunnovyng or Dunoon giving one half mark from his lands in Ardenaslate for wax candles to be lit before the image of the Virgin Mary in the church in behalf of the souls of his grandfather celestin Cambel and Isabella Lamont his wife, his father Colin Cambel, his mother Mariota, daughter of M'Cwill Cambel, his late wife Marcellina Stewart, his present wife Margaret Stewart and the soul of Celestin, lately his son and heir. The writ is dated Dunoon castle 12 March 1439/0 and was witnessed by his wife Margaret and his sons Nigel and Colin.
He also founded the Collegiate church of Kilmun in Cowal 4 Aug. 1442 which was confirmed 12 May 1450. Sir Duncan founded the church for prebendaries to pray for the souls of his first born son and his first wife, Marjoy. The church was badly damaged by the Lamonts in 1646 when they massacred all those taking refuge in the tower (which is still standing).

He was made Lord Campbell in 1445. On 20 Nov. 1450 he granted to his cousin John Campbell son of Alexander the office of Toscheachdeorac of Melpfort. He had a charter of 20 marks of the King's lands in Cowal 19 June 1452 for his services to the late James I at the siege of Roxburgh Castle.

Duncan Campbell, 1st Lord Campbell (Classical Gaelic Donnchadh mac Cailein, and also called Donnchadh na-Adh (English: Duncan the fortunate) of Loch Awe, (died 1453), was a Scottish nobleman and politician. He was an important figure in Scottish affairs in the first half of the 15th century and Justiciar of Argyll. He was head of the Clan Campbell for 40 years.

Вверх страницы