south aisle Lady Chapel, St Peter and St Paul, East Harling, Norfolk
The first, which is fifteenth century in date and found against the S. wall of the S. chapel sanctuary (i.e. at the easternmost end of the S. aisle), consists of a tomb-chest decorated with quatrefoils holding shields, alternating with blank trefoil-cusped arches, and a canopy above with a double-cusped, crocketed ogee arch. Two unicorns(?) hold another shield in the apex of the arch while the mouldings around the arch, consisting of a wave and a hollow, are decorated at intervals with baskets(?) and more unicorns.
Данное надгробие приписывают Robert Harling (+1435), но полнейшее несоответствие костюма этой дате и несоответствие надгробия саркофагу, который действительно мог принадлежать указанной личности, позволяет предположить, что это один из Harling (семья владела этим имением весь 14 и половину 15-го веков, на груди фигуры на надгробии изображен их герб), по дате относящийся к 1360-м. Единственным подходящим персонажем является Herlyng John. Данные о нем очень скудны и точной даты смерти не выяснено, но еще в 1360-м он отмечен как владелец имения.
John de Herlyng, for many years usher of the King's chamber, received many grants from the King and held many offices
Knattishall, or Gnattshall. John de Herlyngy of Eajl-Herlyng in Norfolk, was Lord here A. D. 1360; and it continued long in that Name and Family
in 1366, Elizabeth daughter of Sir Nicholas Bourne released to John de Herling all her right in this manor and advowson
In 1360, John de Herling had free-warren allowed him in this manor, and those of Quidenham, Gnateshall, Newton, and Corton in Lothingland; in 1367, he settled this manor and advowson, Quidenham manor and advowson, the manor of Gnatshall, manors in both Bokenhams, Croxton and Rothynghall manor in Brettenham, on Thomas Heyward, master of Rushworth college, and other feoffees; he was a good soldier, and most expert manager of maritime affairs, upon which account, in 1342, he had the custody of the sea-water at Bristol, during the King's pleasure. He was buried in the church of St. Peter and Paul at East-Herling, (in Herling's chapel,) according to his will, in which he ordered his best horse to be led before his corpse to the grave, as his principal or mortuary for the priest. He died seized of the aforesaid manors, with those of Long-Stratton, and many others, leaving them all to his eldest son and heir, Sir John de Herling, Knt
William Harlyn is found listed in the Subsidy Rolls for Norfolk/Suffolk counties paying tax in 1327, and by all accounts he appears to be the Lord of the Manor of East Harling.
Nicholas Bourne, of Long-Stratton, who left it (Felbrigg's, or The Capital Manor) to his two daughters and heirs, Elizabeth, married to Sir Tho. Jenney, Knt. who, in 1361, released all their right to Margaret their sister, and John de Herling her husband, and their heirs, who purchased the advowson of William Bygot, and so joined it to the manor again
is said to be Sir Robert Harling who married Jane or Joan Gunville or Gonville offspring Anne (d 18 Sep 1498). It would appear that the tomb was not made until after 1460 for, on Sunday 9 March of that year, William Worcester rode over to East Harling with a Norwich 'Marbeler' to see about the making of the tomb for Sir Robert Harling, who was Fastolf's nephew. Originally only a knights effigy was here but his wife was added at a later date
The inscription was transcribed from a brass plate of his tomb by the Rev. David Tho. Powell in 1813 "Within this polished marble is entombed Robert Harlying Knight a man noble in feats of arms. His fame flourished - well known amongst many of its natives of France - at length mangled by force of arms he died at Paris - He fell in the year one thousand four hundred and thirty five on the feast of Gregory - Also the ninth day of September 1435"
Evidence for the effigy being of an earlier date that Tomb below is as follows:
The lady was next to him was recorded as being added at a later date (during the Reformation?).
The knights effigy has been cut down on the head, possibly being originally too small to fit in.
The effigy is clearly seperate from the tomb base.
The tomb of Sir William Chamberlayne (d 1462) and his wife Lady Anne (d 1502) also in the same church may have been modelled on it without any effigies, although a brass may perhaps have been intended.
The record of the tomb of Sir Robert Harling not being made until after 1460 (25 years after his death).
The other appears (tomb) to be a composite. It lies to the east, and the two effigies are clearly not from this tomb; they simply don't fit. They are supposed to be Robert Harling, died Paris in 1435, and his wife Dame Joan. Neither are buried here - she is at Rushford near Thetford, he is in some corner of a foreign field
The famous de Herling family, rich merchants in the 13th century and Lords of Harling manor from the mid 14th, took the name of our village to the French battlefields of Meaux, Paris and Agincourt! The wealth of this famous family was generated from the local wool trade, much of which was used to fund the 15th century enlargements of the Church.