ca. 1360 - 'warrior saint', porch, Frauenkirche, Nurnberg, Bayern, Germany
New building under the sign of violence
In 1349, on approval of King (later emperor) Charles IV, the former Jewish quarter in the center of Nuremberg was broken down, to establish a new central market. During the expulsion of the former jewish citizens, around five hundred of them where burned in a pogrom.
In 1352 the work for the church of our Lady had started at the east side of the new central market, where the former jewish school had it?s place.
As architect Peter Parler is presumed, Charles IV court architect.
On July 8 1355 emperor Charles IV subordinates the church to the Augustine cloister of our Lady in Prague. In 1355 the choir was consecrated, followed in 1358 by two further altars. The churches completion is assumed in the 1360s.
The church was designed as imperial chapel for Charles IV and as a place to store the imperial insignia. But these where stored at last at Castle Karlstejn, near Prague. However, a display of the imperial insignia from the balcony over the west entrance is known for 1361.
An example of brick Gothic architecture, it was built on the initiative of Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor between 1352 and 1362
The church was built in the grand market, in place of the former Jewish synagogue, which was destroyed during the pogrom of 1349 following an outbreak of Black Death. The architect was probably Peter Parler. Charles IV wanted to use the Frauenkirche for imperial ceremonies, which is reflected in the porch with the balcony, and in the fact that the church is relatively unadorned except for the coats of arms of the Holy Roman Empire, the seven Electors, the town of Nuremberg, and the city of Rome, where the Holy Roman Emperors were crowned. Construction of the church continued until the 1360s.