Window nVI, panels 2-3b. Figure of St George
Window nVI, panels 2-3c. Figure of St Edmund King and Martyr
part of a window dating from the 1360s given to the church by Henry, lord Scrope of Masham (d. 1367).
The N aisle has some of the very best glass in the county, of c.1360; one window has the three deacon martyrs Vincent, Lawrence and Stephen. Next to it is a remarkable window with Edward the Confessor, George and Edmund, remarkable because Edward and Edmund are shown as soldiers without any nimbus, standing below militarized canopies, a reminder that this glass was painted in the hubris following Crecy and Poitiers.
Window n.VI, St Michael and All Angels, Heydour
Medieval glass depicting St Edward the Confessor, St George (the patron saint of England) and St Edmund (note the lack of Halos), standing beneath military architectural canopies, some with gun ports. All are in armour and holding a sword or spear.
Circa 1360, given by Sir Henry Scrope.