East Tuddenham, Norfolk, UK
Church of All Saints,
Monument to an unknown knight. Stone. North west corner of nave. Perhaps ca. 1300
The knight rests his head on two pillows, his feet on a charming small lion turning to look at him, holding a heart. Although his features are badly worn his chain mail, hauberk and leggings are naturalistically represented as are the folds of the linen gown worn over the armour. His armour is that worn up the 1330s, when extra metal plates were strapped on. Nigel Saul has argued that: ‘knightly effigies rank among the finest medieval memorials to have come down to us. Even on routine products, the standard of craftsmanship was often high.’ Nothing is known of his identity or of the reason for the showing him holding a heart.
Nigel Saul, English Church Monuments in the Middle Ages. History and Representation, Oxford, 2011. pp.208-209
a mutilated effigy, supposed to represent Sir Edm. de Berry
In the north-west corner lies the effigy of a knight. Tradition has it that he is Sir Edmund de Berry who died in 1433 and lived at a site that is now called Berry Hall.
East Tuddenham Norfolk
A knight in armour judged to be late 13c - early 14c, lies with his feet on a lion and holding a heart in his hands - perhaps one of the de Berry lords of the manor who lived where Berry Hall now stands. He may have been in the north chantry chapel, now demolished, later he was reported as being in the south aisle by the pulpit. In order to be moved he has been cut in three pieces.
My guess would be that the effigy is of Sir Henry Berry +++
The de Berry / Barry family came to the area in the 32d of Henry III. (1248) when Ralph de Berry granted by fine, to his son Sir Henry Berry a messuage, and 100 acres of land, in East Tudenham, with all the land he held in Hokering, Barnham, Bykerston, Matsale, &c. in demean, with the homages, reliefs, rents and services of freemen and villains, wards, &c. and Henry regranted them to Ralph for life, on condition that he should not mortgage, sell, or any ways dispose thereof
+++Sir Henry Berry was lord of Berrys manor, East Tuddenham in the reign of Edward l. (1272-1307) in 1296 Hugh Pope before the Warden and Aldermen acknowledged himself bound to Henry Berri in the sum of 33s. 4d
Henry m June daughter of Sir Hugh Todeiiham/ Tuddenham
1. Osmond Berry
2. Hugh Berry 1349 m Cecil / Cecily co- heiress of Edmund Hengrave of Hengrave Hall Bury St Edmunds and Isabel Calthorpe
In 1303 Hugh held the manor of Horwellbury Herts of William Fitz Ralph.
In the 3d of Edward II. (1310) Hugh de Berry and wife Cecilia and their heirs , had conveyed to them by Peter, parson of Tudenham, their trustee, 5 messuages, 142 acres of land, 10 of meadow, 16 of pasture, 37s. 6d. rent, one quarter of barley, and hens, rent, here and in Hokering, etc
(Some sources say the effigy is to Sir Edmund de Berry great great grandson of Sir Henry who died in 1433 which is too late a date and according to his will he was buried in the chapel of St. Mary, Carmelites / White Friars church Norwich,