This fine mid-fifteenth century figure of St George, in St Martin Coney Street in York.
Originally in the clerestory of the church the figure survived the bombing of 1942 and has been re-set in a window in the restored south aisle
ca. 1443-1450 - 'St. George', St. Martin-le-Grand Church, York, Yorkshire, England
St. George wears old-fashioned armour for a date of ca. 1443. He looks more like a knight of ca. 1420-1430: e.g. the broad sleeves, the camail (would have been replaced by a plate gorget), and the fauld (deeper by 1440, more lames).
St George, St Martin's, York
St Martin's church in Coney Street, York (also known as St Martin le Grand) was one of the city's most impressive parish churches until it was largely destroyed by bombing in 1942 (along with the neighbouring Guildhall the biggest loss of the infamous 'Baedecker raids' on York).
The ruined church was partially demolished after the war (specifically the nave clerestories and east window) but the south aisle was restored to serve as the new church, with a new north wall erected in the old nave, the remainder being left as a ruined courtyard as a memorial to the bombing.
The work was undertaken by noted York-based architect George Pace, who added the colourful decoration to the restored ceiling. Surviving features were reused including much medieval glass, the most important being the former west window of the nave, the largest window in a York parish church, which was luckily removed and stored before the bombing and has been impressively repositioned in an especially built transept opposite the main entrance.
The original church was of timber, but about 1080 it was rebuilt in stone. It was extended several times in the medieval period and completely rebuilt in the mid-15th century, largely through the efforts of Robert Semer, who served as vicar from 1425-1443. Semer is commemorated as a benefactor in the surviving west window.
The figure of Robert Semer is shown in his clerical robes, an open Bible before him showing Psalm 51. A Latin inscription at the top of the window gives the date 1437 and begs the reader to pray for Semer's soul. When he died, Semer left his money to the church, on condition that it was rebuilt within seven years.