Antwerp-Baltimore Quadriptych -- Circa 1380-1400
Note: Two of the four panels belong to the Walters Art Museum & the other Two panels belong to the Museum Mayer van den Bergh, Antwerp, Belgium.
Dated: 1390 - 1400
Dimensions: 26.2 cm x 37.6 cm
Inventory number: MMB.0001.2-2.A
Museum: Museum Mayer van den Bergh Antwerp
Category: Category E: pre-Eyckian works
Subcategory: Christs Resurrections
Keyword: Religious scenes
ca. 1400 - 'resurrection, tetraptych Antwerp-Baltimore', Meuse-Rhineland, Museum Mayer van den Bergh, Antwerpen, province of Antwerp, Belgium
Resurrection from the Antwerp-Baltimore Quadriptych, ca. 1380
Antwerp-Baltimore Quadriptych ca. 1380
These works may be the earliest surviving Netherlandish panel paintings. The panels come from Champmol, and were probably painted for Duke Philip the Bold.
The quadriptych may originally have been a folding travel altar, or possibly a small altarpiece that was permanently set up in one place. The paintings are full of delightful details, such as Joseph in the Nativity, fashioning a nappy from his hose.
The Chartreuse de Champmol, formally the Chartreuse de la Sainte-Trinite de Champmol, was a Carthusian monastery on the outskirts of Dijon, which is now in France, but in the 15th century was the capital of the Duchy of Burgundy. The monastery was founded in 1383 by Duke Philip the Bold to provide a dynastic burial place for the Valois Dukes of Burgundy, and operated until it was dissolved in 1791, during the French Revolution. Called "the grandest project in a reign renowned for extravagance", it was lavishly enriched with works of art, and the dispersed remnants of its collection remain key to the understanding of the art of the period.
Works of art from Champmol :
Baltimore, Walters Art Museum, half of the "Antwerp-Baltimore Polyptych" c. 1400.
Antwerp, the other three scenes of the "Antwerp-Baltimore Polyptych"