EYCK, Jan van
The Ghent Altarpiece (wings open)
Oil on wood, 350 x 461 cm
Cathedral of St Bavo, Ghent
Another great example comes from the panel of Jan van Eyck's Ghent Altarpiece known as the Knights of Christ, dated 1432. The knight on the left wears a boxy breastplate over a very similar green garment as appears in the Hamburg painting above. The second knight is more heavily armoured with a more rounded, fluted kastenbrust combined with a deep fauld of plates; his gauntlets are also of a boxy, hard-angled design.
The Ghent Altarpiece (or the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb, Dutch: Het Lam Gods) is a very large and complex 15th-century Early Flemish polyptych altarpiece in St Bavo's Cathedral, attributed to the brothers Hubert and Jan van Eyck, and considered a masterpiece of European art and one of the world's treasures.
Art historians generally agree that the overall structure was designed by Hubert in the early to mid 1420s, and that the panels were painted by his younger brother Jan between 1430 and 1432. One of the most renowned and important paintings in art history, generations of art historians have attempted to attribute specific passage to either brother, however no convincing separation has been established.
The panels were threatened during outbreaks of iconoclasm, and have suffered fire damage. During different wars, some panels were sold and others looted. A number were captured by the German occupying forces during World War I, but were later returned to St. Bavo's Cathedral. In 1934 two panels, The Just Judges and Saint John the Baptist, were stolen.
The "Saint John the Baptist" panel was returned soon after, but "The Just Judges" panel is still missing. In 1945, the altarpiece was returned from Germany after spending much of World War II hidden in a salt mine, which greatly damaged the paint and varnish. The Belgian art restorer Jef Van der Veken produced a copy of 'The Just Judges', as part of an overall restoration effort.
Датировка установлена 1425?, так как дизайн алтаря (и образ костюмов) был создан старшим братом Hubert van Eyck в первой половине 1420-х, а в 1432 алтарь уже был освящен
Но датировка изображенных костюмов возможна более ранняя, так как в регионе Нидерландов длинные подолы и рукава уже исчезли к 1420-м годам